|Location:||Two Foot Bay, northeast Barbuda|
|Open:||no restrictions |
|Light:||none, bring torch|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
This extraordinary site is not developed, so it is a little tricky to find it. Located at Two Foot Bay in northeast Barbuda, it can be found searching for a roofless stone ruin at the shore, probably a building used for the phosphate mining at Gun Shop Cliff in the 1890's. The entrance to the cave is located near the top of the low cliff opposite the ruin.
The caverns are of artificial origin, dug out of the rock. There are three different chamber, one to the right of the main passage, opposite a small alcoven. Straight down the main passage is another chamber, which is followed by the third.
To the right is the low Drop Cave, which is followed by the 10m high Bat Chamber. This second part was named after the numerous bats hanging from the roof. There is a small hole through which daylight enters, which is obviously used by the bats to enter this chamber.
The second chamber is called Glowing Cave. It is flooded with daylight through loose fitting rocks at the far end, producing a somewhat glowing effect which was eponymous. It is followed by Fig Tree Cavern with an outlook along the north-eastern windward coast. It may have been a lookout for a large Amerindian village site that is nearby.
This is an archaeological site, obviously of artificial origin. The small alcoven in the main passage, called Guardian Passage, contains two small rock carvings, which are the only petroglyphs found in Antigua or Barbuda. This site is protected by law, so please be carefull when visiting it.