|Location:||Located in parc Pie XII (Pius XII park), borough Saint Léonard, Montreal.|
End MAY to mid AUG Tue-Sun 9:45-11:30, 12:30-16:15.
Only after reservation, at least 10 days in advance.
Adults CAD 10, Children (6-17) CAD 9, Children (0-5) not allowed, Seniors (55+) CAD 9.
Residents of Montreal: Adults CAD 9, Children (6-17) CAD 8, Children (0-5) not allowed, Seniors (55+) CAD 8.
|Dimension:||L=35 m, VR=8 m, T=5 °C, H=98%.|
|Guided tours:||D=45 min.|
|Address:||Cavernicole de Saint-Léonard, Société québécoise de spéléologie (Quebec Speleological Society), 5200 Blvd Lavoiser, Saint-Léonard, Montreal H1R 3B1Tel: +1-514-252-3323.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1815||existence of the cave published in the newspaper Le Spectateur.|
|1979||municipal authorities become aware of the cave.|
|1980||closed for protection.|
Cavernicole de Saint-Léonard is a natural cave located right in the middle of Montreal, in the borough of Saint-Léonard. It is used for educational tours by the Société québécoise de spéléologie (Quebec Speleological Society). A slide show takes place, followed by a guided tour of the cave. The entrance passage leads to a chamber 2 m high, 3 m wide and 13 m long. At the end is a pothole which can be descended using a fixed ladder. The cave behind is rather small, only 35 m long.
According to legend the native Americans used the cave for a very long time. Also the cave is said to have been used as an ordnance depot during the Rebellion of 1837 by patriots. But no trace of both events has been found so far. The first written account is an article in the newspaper Le Spectateur in 1815, and so it became known to many people. The artricle states that the cave was discovered in 1811. Followoing the article the locals reportedly started to frequent the cave.
The cave was open until 1980. After the city council had registered the existence of the cave in 1979 they closed it the the following year to protect it. In 1988 it was declared a site patrimonial d'intérêt régional (heritage site of regional interest) by the Montreal Urban Community to protect it further.
Although the cave is not difficult and the only drop of 1.5 m is developed with a ladder, the cave has no other development. As a result visitors are equipped with helmets and headlamps. Warm underwear, rubber boots, and kloves are mandatory.