|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Address:||Toburn Mine, Michael Leahy, Toburn Operating Authority, P.O. Box 148, Swastika, ON, P0K 1T0, Tel: +1-705-642-1982, Fax: +1-705-642-1982.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1913||start of commercial production.|
|1931||new and larger mill opened.|
|1953||mill and mine closed.|
|2006||Northern Prospectors Association planned to aquire the headframe.|
|2008||acquired by the Town of Kirkland Lake and Toburn Operating Authority created.|
|03-JUL-2009||headframe and four other buildings opened to the public.|
Toburn Mine was a gold mine at Kirkland Lake, Ontario, which operated from 1913 to 1953. The wooden headframe, characteristically painted in red, is still existing and is now the last remaining original headframe on this goldfield called the "Mile of Gold".
The mine was opened in 1913, together with a 90-t/d stamp mill. In 1931 the Toburn Gold Mines Ltd. was incorporated and installed a larger mill. The new mill and the headframe were operated until the mine closed in 1953. During 40 years of operation a total of 1.1 million tonnes of ore was produced, with a gold content of 17.0 g/t.
The mining at Toburn Mine ended in 1953. The mine was closed and the property reverted to the Crown. To protect the impressive headframe, the Northern Prospectors Association decided in 2006 to buy it and restore it. They received funds from public institutions and donations from individuals. It seems they started to restore the headframe but where not able to buy the property. It was aquired in 2008 by the Town of Kirkland Lake and is now operated by the new founded Toburn Operating Authority. They plan to make it tourist destination which explains the gold mining heritage of the area. In 03-JUL-2009 the headframe and four other buildings were opened to the public. The mine site also has outdoor displays including mining equipment and large rock specimens with interpretive signage.