|Location:||Bruce Mines, 60 km east of Sault Ste. Marie.|
JUL to AUG Tue-Sat 11-16.
Bruce Mines Museum: MAY to JUN Mon-Fri 10-17.
JUL to AUG daily 10-17.
SEP Mon-Fri 10-17.
Adults CAD 4, Children CAD 3, Students CAD 3, Family (2+*) CAD 8.
Bruce Mines Museum: Adults CAD 2, Children CAD 1, Students CAD 1, Seniors CAD 1, Family (2+*) CAD 5.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||D=30 min.|
Simpson Copper Mineshaft, 9244 Hwy 17 E, Bruce Mines, Ontario, P0R1C0, Tel: +1-705.785-3493.
Bruce Mines Museum, 75 Taylor Street, Bruce Mines, Ontario, Tel: +1-705-785-3426, Fax: +1-705-785-3170.
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1846||town founded and named after James Bruce, the first Governor of the Province of Canada and the eighth Earl of Elgin.|
|1847||begin of copper mining.|
|1848||Simpson Mine shaft opened.|
|1849||Simpson Mine closed.|
|1876||end of coppper mining.|
|1992||restored Simpson Mine shaft opened to the public.|
|2010||closed due to vandalism.|
The copper in the area is found along veins of white quartz, surrounded by black diabase. The green stain along the quartz veins is malachite, a copper mineral. Other minerals are bornite, which contains 80% copper, native copper, chalcopyrite (35% copper), and chalcocite (80% copper).
The village Bruce Mines is home to Canada's first successful copper mine. So actually Bruce Mines is the name of the village, the individual mines have their own names. Many of the first residents were Cornish miners, which immigrated from England to work in the mines.
One of the mines is open for the public, it is the Simpson Mine Shaft. A guided tour is offered through a section of the original mine shaft. There are reconstructed buildings like the horse whim and the assay office where the ore was graded and tested. A small exhibition shows mining equipment and mineral displays. Outdoors is a display of more recent mining machinery.
Simpson Mine was opened for the chalcocite and bornite, which contains about 80% of copper. But they were found only in the first 3 m of the mine, then the vein switched to chalcopyrite with only 35% copper. They did not refine the ore on site, it was shipped across the Atlantic for refining. With a loss of 5% in the processing the mining of low grade ore was not profitable and the mine was closed after only a year. At the end the shaft was 30 m long and 15 m deep. For the opening as a show mine, for safety reasons, the shaft was filled in to a depth of about 4 m. A pumping system was installed to keep it dry.
In Taylor Street lies the Bruce Mines Museum, called church on the rock by the locals because it is located in a building which was once the Presbyterian Church, built in 1894. Later the building was used as post office and a school. In 1960 it became a museum. The museum houses over 7000 artifacts, including an unusual Yakaboo canoe. It is a local history museum showing all aspects of local life, but with a big amphasis of the mining history.