In the city of Namur, between the rivers Meuse and Sambre.
All year daily 10-18.
Underground: All year Mon-Fri 13:30 , 15 , 16:30 , Sat, Sun, Hol 11 , 13:30 , 15 , 16:30 .
Adults EUR 10, Children (6-18) EUR 8, Children (0-5) free, Students EUR 8.
Groups (+): Adults EUR 9, Children (6-18) EUR 8, Students EUR 8.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||L=500 m, D=90 min.|
|Address:||Citadelle de Namur, TERRA NOVA, Route Merveilleuse 64, 5000 Namur, Tel: +32-81247370. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|890||fortification with wall and double palisade first mentioned.|
|974||Counts of Namur make the place their main residence.|
|1429||after Philip the Good took possession of the county of Namur the military importance of the fortress increased.|
|1488||besieged by the Namurians in the fight against the Duchy of Burgundy during the civil war in the Burgundian Netherlands.|
|1577||besieged by the troops of Don Juan de Austria.|
|1692||besieged by the troops of Louis XIV in the Palatinate War of Succession.|
|1695||besieged by the troops of the Vienna Grand Alliance in the Palatinate War of Succession.|
|1746||besieged by French troops under Moritz von Sachsen in the War of the Austrian Succession.|
|1792||besieged by French troops in the First Coalition War.|
|1794||besieged by French troops in the First Coalition War.|
|1830||besieged by the Belgian revolutionaries.|
|1891||partially demilitarized by decision of King Leopold II and the area was redesigned into a large park.|
|1893-1899||Grand Hôtel de la Citadelle built.|
|23-AUG-1914||shelled by German artillery, Grand Hôtel de la Citadelle burned down.|
|1910||funicular to the citadel.|
|1918||Belgian army moved in again.|
|1921||funicular replaced by tram with several tunnels and tight curves.|
|1930||Grand Hôtel de la Citadelle restored.|
|1933||quarters in Terra Nova were given up due to health-damaging conditions.|
|1957||cable car from the square below to the Belvedere.|
|1975||keys handed over by the Belgian army to the city of Namur.|
|1997||cable car closed.|
|2014||guardhouse of Terra Nova reconstructed and now houses exhibitions, administrative rooms and a restaurant.|
|2021||new cable car from Place Maurice Servais to the Esplanade.|
The Citadelle de Namur (The Citadel of Namur) is a fortification with abundant underground structures. Seven kilometers of passages made Napoleon nickname it the termites' nest of Europe. The citadel covers an area of 80 ha, which makes it one of the biggest fortifications in Europe. The Namur Citadel has been besieged twenty times in eight centuries.
The citadel consists of three parts, called Donjon, Médiane and Terra Nova. The guardhouse of Terra Nova is the visitor center with exhibitions and the starting point for tours. There is a huge parking lot and it is best reached by car.