|Open:||All year daily 9-17. Closed Christmas Day. The key is part of the Burra Heritage Passport can be obtained from the Burra Tourist Office. |
Unicorn Brewery Cellars only: Adults AUD 5.
Burra Heritage Passport: Adults AUD 15, Concession AUD 11.
Unicorn Brewery Cellars, Bridge Terrace, Burra, South Australia, 5417.
Burra Tourist Office, Market Square, Burra. S.A., Tel: +61-8-8892-2154, Fax: +61-8-8892-2555. E-mail:
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1902||licensing laws introduced, brewery closed.|
|1913||Brewery Cottage converted into a residence.|
|1972||cellars opened to the public.|
|1987||cellars were acquired by the District Council of Burra Burra.|
|1988||Brewery Cottage baught by Josephine or Vincent Burke.|
The Unicorn Brewery was built in 1873, with offices, cooper's workshop, malting tower, steam engine and boiler. Huge underground storage tunnels and cellars were excavated to store the beer. This brewery supplied beer for Burra and along the railway line to Broken Hill. The brewery closed in 1902, when licensing laws were introduced, but this was just the last drop. The closure of the mine and the decline in the town's population made the brewerie unnecessary. Later, in 1911, most of buildings were demolished for their stone. Only the manager's residence and the cellars remain unchanged. And there are the remains of the walls of the brewery block.