|Location:||15km south of Margaret River on Caves Road and 3km north of Conto's Road turn off.|
|Open:||All year daily 9-16:15. |
Adults AUD 10, Children (6-18) AUD 5.
|Light:||none, torches and helmets provided|
|Guided tours:||self guided, D=45min, L=650m, VR=27m.|
CALM, District Office, 14 Queen Street, BUSSELTON 6280, Tel: +61-8-9752-5555, Fax: +61-8-9752-1432.
Calgardup Cave office, National Park Information Centre, Tel: +61-8-9757-7422.
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1878||discovered by Grace Bussell, daughter of one of the first European settlers in the Leeuwin-Naturaliste region.|
|1898||first explored by Tim Connelly and Fred Bussell.|
|1995||developed by the Department of Conservation and Land Management.|
Calgardup Cave is a rather natural cave, as it does not have electric light. It was equipped with steps and boardwalks in order to protect it and prevent further degradation. The path leads down into the cave on a long flight of steps to a depth of 27m. Here the path branches into a left and a right hand section. The right hand section has a calm cave lake which reflects the stalactites of the ceiling.
A special feature of Calgardup Cave are the roots of the red gum trees (marri trees) and other plants growing above the cave. The roots are dangling down into the cave to collect the humidity of the cave, some even trail into the water. The trees are a source of nutrients and basis to many of the troglobionts which live in the subterranean lake.