|Location:||Römerhofgasse, Kufstein, im Keller des Auracher Löchls.|
All year daily 18-02.
Free, its a bar.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Address:||Römerhofgasse 4, A-6330 Kufstein, Tel: +43-5372-62138. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1415||construction of tunnel started.|
|1896||ice cellar replaced by modern refrigerators.|
|2014||listed in the Guinnes Book of Records.|
The Auracher Löchl is a famous restaurant and hotel with a pub, which is one of the main tourist draws in Kufstein. It is named after the owner family Auracher and their tunnel, called Löchl (the diminuitive of hole). This tunnel was constructed more than 600 years agor and its construction cost almost 20 years. It is located in the first road inside the city limits coming from the river Inn, which is actually the only road between the river and the rock of the Kustein citadel. So this tunnel is located in the rock at the foot of the citadel behind the inn.
The reason for its construction was the need to keep food and beer cool during summer. The tunnel has a natural temperature of 8 °C, but when it is filled with ice, the ice keeps frozen until late summer. So ice from the nearby Hechtsee and Kaisergebirge was cut during winter and stored in the tunnel. It was quite important for brewing beer and remained the most important fridge for Kufstine, until the development of better refrigeration technology at the end of the 19th century. At this time it was abandoned, only used as a normal cellar.
Some years ago the tunnel was renovated and transformed into a modern bar named Stollen 1930. Its theme is a 1930s speakeasy bar, selling vintage drinks from this era and playing contemporary music. It is famous for its enormous amount of 850 different gins, which resulted in an entry in the Guiness Book of World Records.