|Location:||Near Peggau in the Steiermark (Styria) right beside the federal highway between Bruck/Mur and Graz. 25km north of Graz.|
APR to OCT daily 10-16.
NOV to MAR after appointment.
Tours hourly at the hour, additional tours after appointment.
Long tour: after appointment.
Abenteuerführungen (adventure tours): DEC to MAR after appointment.
Adults EUR 6, Children (15-18) EUR 4.50, Children (0-14) EUR 4, Familienpaß EUR 18.
Groups (20+): Adults EUR 5.50, Children (15-18) EUR 4, Children (0-14) EUR 3.50.
Long tour: Adults EUR 9.50, Children (15-18) EUR 6, Children (0-14) EUR 5.50, Familienpaß EUR 27.
Abenteuerführungen (adventure tours): per person EUR 60.
|Classification:||Karst cave river cave.|
|Dimension:||L=6,000m, T=10°C, A=420m asl.|
Regular tour: L=1,000m, D=60min.
Long tour: L=2,000m, D=2h.
Abenteuerführungen (adventure tours): L=8,000m, D=5-6h.
Festschrift Lurgrotte 1894-1994,
332 pp 82 B&W & 14 colour photos 4 surveys.
In 1894 this cave became world famous when 7 cavers were trapped underground for a week by a flash flood. This book tells the story of the rescue with excerpts and photos from old news papers, diaries etc. The history of exploration, geology and hydrology, flora and fauna etc are all covered in this detailed monograph. Trevor Shaw describes some early cave "Stamps" sold to raise funds for exploration work. Nicely produced on art paper SB ()
Lurgrottengesellschaft Peggau, Lurgrottenstrasse 1/2, A-8120 Peggau, Tel: +43-3127-2580, Fax: +43-3127-2580.
Tourismusverband Peggau, Hr. Salomon, A-8120 Peggau, Tel: +43-3127-2203,
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1601||first picture of the cave entrance.|
|01-APR-1894||Max Brunello, an Italian speleologist, explored the Semriach entrance of the cave.|
|1894||seven cavers trapped underground for a week by a flash flood.|
|29-APR-1896||six cave explorers were trapped inside the cave by a flood.|
|1912||Lurgrottengesellschaft, a company to develop the cave, founded.|
|1913||drainage adit provided access from Peggau.|
|1924||the link between the Peggau an Semriach part was discovered.|
|1935||first through-trip through both parts, Peggau and Semriach, by J. Gangl and 15 other cavers.|
|1937||start of development of Peggau part.|
|1957||Peggau part opened to the public.|
|1962||cave through tour with a length of 5km developed and opened to the public.|
|1963||a flood destroyed the paths, which were soon repaired.|
|1975||once again, a flood damaged the paths, this time the paths were not restored.|
The Lurgrotte cave is Austria's largest and most beautiful stalagtite cave. It is a through cave and an active river cave. The water of the Lurbach enters the cave near Semriach at 640m asl and leaves at an resurgence near Peggau at 400m asl. The cave system in between is 6km long. On both sides of the cave is a show cave. The description on this page is mainly for the Peggau part.
On this side originally only a spring was visible, the resurgence of the water which enters the cave at Semriach. In 1913 a drainage tunnel hit the cave behind the spring and thus made it accessible from Peggau. In 1924 the two cave systems were connected. Eleven years later, in 1935 the first through trip was made by the Steirischer Höhlenklub (Cave club of Styria), lead by J. Gangl. Explorers were now able to climb the cave from Peggau to Semriach.
Soon the cave was developed In 1963 a flood destroyed the facilities that had been built to safeguard visitor. Today, there are two kilometers of trails left. Electric light is installed along the first kilometre. That is what visitors get to see on the normal tour.
The big tour leads another kilometre further into the cave, where visitors are equipped with carbide lamps. The tour shows brooks, impressive stalagmites and domes decorated with coloured sinter formations. From December until March amateur cave explorers can book tours that take them six to eight kilometers into the mountain.
As the cave has two entrances, there are also two different show caves. The show cave at Semriach is privately owned, the show cave at Peggau is maintained by a Grotto.