Bergbaumuseum Fohnsdorf

Montanmuseum Fohnsdorf

Useful Information

Location: Fohnsdorf. (47°12'2.89"N, 14°40'53.12"E)
Open: MAY to OCT daily 9-17. [2007]
Fee: Adults EUR 5, School Pupils EUR 3, Military EUR 3.
Groups (10+): Adults EUR 4, School Pupils EUR 2.50, Military EUR 2.50.
Classification: MineLignite Mine
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Guided tours: L=160 m.
Address: Bergbaumuseum Fohnsdorf, Schacht 1, 8753 Fohnsdorf, Tel: +43-3573-4647, Tel: +43-3573-5231, Fax 03573-4647. E-mail: contact
Gemeinde Fohnsdorf, 8753 Fohnsdorf, Tel: +43-3573-2431-234.
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


1670 begin of mining east of Dietersdorf under Fürst Schwarzenberg.
1842 mine taken over by K.K. Montan-Aerar, coal used for iron furnaces.
1855 Graf Hugo Henkel von Donnersmark buys land and the right to mine it.
1857 start of Lorenz-Schacht und Josef-Schacht.
1869 mine bought by the Steirische Eisenindustriegesellschaft.
1870 railroad Zeltweg-Fohnsdorf-Antoni built.
1881 mine bought by the Österreichische Alpine-Montangesellschaft.
1882 start of Karl-August Schacht.
1884 start of Wodzicki-Schacht.
1913 two fuel driven locomotives with 8 horse powers.
1928 80 m high furnaces installed.
1940 water in the mine, 850 m deep, 750 liter/minute, 39 °C, 82 At pressure, in the Wodzicki Förderschacht.
1943 101 miners die in an explosion in the Karl-August Schacht.
1975 retraining centre built.
1977 part of the mine preserved as a monument.
1978 mine closed.
05-MAY-1983 Montanmuseum Fohnsdorf inaugurated.


The lignite mine at Fohnsdorf was once the deepest lignite mine on earth. The mining museum shows numerous exhibits from this era, including pictures, documents and old tools and machinery. Impressive are various models of the mine and its machinery. A 160 m long mine tunnel is used as a show mine.