|Location:||A9 Pyhrnautobahn exit Spital am Pyhrn. Through Spital am Pyhrn, 100 m after town turn right into Sandstraße to Grünau, 2 km. Signposted.|
|Open:||MAY to OCT Mon-Fri 7:30-18, Sat, Sun, Hol 7-18. |
Adults EUR 5.70, Children (6-15) EUR 3.80, Disabled EUR 4.80.
Reduktions with Pyhrn-Priel AktivCard, Pyhrn-Priel SaisonCard, Familienkarte OÖ.
Groups (20+): Adults 5.10, School Pupils EUR 3.20.
|Dimension:||L=1.5 km, St=500, V=30,000/a, A=655 m asl.|
|Accessibility:||not wheelchair accessible|
|Bibliography:||Rudolf Speil (2006): Klammen und Schluchten in Österreich: An tosenden Wassern. Leopold Stocker Verlag, April 2006, ISBN 3-7020-1130-7|
Dr. Vogelgesang-Klamm, Grünau 10, 4582 Spital am Pyhrn, Tel: +43-664-4970135, Mobile: +43-7563-24999, Fax: +43-7563-249-20.
Pyhrn-Priel Tourismus GmbH, Stiftsplatz 1, 4582 Spital am Pyhrn, Tel: +43-7563-249, Cell: +43-664-4970135, Fax: +43-7563-249-20. E-mail:
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1905||gorge renamed Dr.-Vogelgesang-Klamm.|
|1906||trail through the gorge completed.|
|1908||first trail destroyed by a flood.|
|1926/27||new trail constructed.|
The Dr.-Vogelgesang-Klamm is a gorge which was re-named after the local medical doctor Dr. Moritz Vogelgesang. The reason is, he was also the head of the local Verschönerungsverein (improvement club), a club which was dedicated to the improvement of the town in order to draw more tourists. In this function he suggested to build a trail through the gorge named Fallbachklamm. His plan was finally accepted and in 1906 the trail was completed and it was possible for the first time to visit a part of the gorge. Unfortunately this lasted only two years and the first trail was destroyed by a flood. However, at this point the gorge was already renamed to his honour.
It took 20 years, probably because there was a World War inbetween, until the second trail through the gorge was constructed. It was financed by the municipality of Spital am Pyhrn and erected in the years 1926 and 1927. This trail crosses the whole gorge and makes this the second longest gorge in Austria. The trail is 1,5000 m long and has 500 wooden and stone steps. To make the trail flood-proof, it was fixed at the vertical cliffs high above the river.
Like most gorges this one is closed during winter. Every May, when snow and ice are gone, the steps are inspected and damages repaired. But the the trail is maintained all summer long, to make sure the trails are safe for the visitors.