|Location:||Steinwandgraben 8, 2564 Furth.|
Adults EUR 2.50, Children (6-14) EUR 1, Family (2+*) EUR 6, Family (1+*) EUR 3.50.
Groups (25+): 20% discount.
|Address:||Steinwandklamm, Franz Singer, Steinwandgraben 8, 2564 Furth, Cell: +33-676-5236445. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1883||paths built by the Österreichischer Touristenklub Sektion Triestingtal.|
|08-JUN-1884||opened to the public.|
|JUL-1927||Rudof-Decker-Steig opened to the public.|
|2011||managed by Franz Singer.|
The Steinwandklamm is a gorge or slot canyon with rapids, waterfalls and caves. It is located in Kreuth, which belongs to the village Muggendorf. It was formed about 100,000 years ago, when the glaciers of the Ice Age ended in this area. Glaciers melt continually and produce huge amounts of melting water plus gravel and sand which they brought with them. Such an emulsion is able to erode rock with enormous speed. The result of the erosion 100,000 years ago and during the following four warm periods since then, was the formation of this gorge.
This gorge was first developed with trails more than 120 years ago. This was done by the Österreichischer Touristenklub Sektion Triestingtal (Austrian Tourist Club, subsection Triesting valley), who mantained the gorge until 2010. The small non-profit organization was at the end not able to do the necessary renovation works, so the owner terminated the lease and is now maintaining the gorge with entrance fees.
There is a main trail through the gorge, with rope bridges and wooden planks. It ends at the Türkenloch (Turks Hole), a karst cave, which is also developed with trails. This part is like it was originally developed, and was visited by Kronprinzessin Stefanie and Kaiser Franz Josef.
Later, in the 1920s another cave was discovered in the liff face, which was named Wildschützenhöhle (Poachers Cave) because the remains of poachers which used this cave as a hideout were found. Rudolf Decker, a member of the tourist club, was interested in this cave and organized the construction of a sidetrack to the cave. This track was inaugurated in 1927 and was named Rudof-Decker-Steig. It is mostly a normal walking trail, but has short sections of via ferrata.