Useful Information

Location: Donnersbach, trail starts at Gasthof Leitner.
Open: MAY to OCT daily.
Guided tours: 25-MAY-2012 to 14-OCT-2012 Tues 14, Thu 9:30.
Fee: free.
Classification: GorgeGorge
Light: n/a
Guided tours: D=2.5h
Photography: Allowed.
Accessibility: steep wooden staircases with uneven steps
Address: Donnersbachklamm, Gasthaus Leitner, 8953 Donnersbach, Tel: +43-3683-2267.
Tourismusverband Bergregion Grimming, Irdning 220, 8952 Irdning, Tel: +43-3683-23999.
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


1936 Triftweg opened for the public.
1961 last wood transported down the gorge.
1962 fork for collecting the beams at the lower end removed.
1991 decared a Natural Monument.


The Donnersbachklamm is a gorge located near the town Donnersbach. The German name of the town may be translated thundering brook, which is a good hint for the gorge with its white water stream.

The valey is V-shaped and was used for the Trift of wood, Trift is a german term which might be translated drove and means the transport of wood with the help of water. The trees were cut in the forested valleys around the town and transported to the streams. Sometimes the water was dammed and when the dams were released the flood transported the water down the valley. Here the Trift was carried out during high water levels in spring, when huge amounts of melting water were flowing down the gorge.

During the Trift the beams often got stuck between rocks, and so it was necessary to oversee the transport and untangle blockages. For this purpose a wooden trail was built through the narrow part of the gorge. It was secured with railings and opened to the public in 1936, while the Trifts were still going on. The trifts ended in 1961.

The gorge was formed by the enormous amounts of melting water created by the melting Glaciers at the end of the last Ice Age, about 12,000 years ago. The rocks are qurtz phyllites, which are rather soft, so the erosion was extremely fast, at least for a geologc process.