Closed Show Caves
Show caves and show mines have a long history.
Sometimes financial or political problems cause the closing of well developed
objects all over the world.
In the U.S.A. there were several cave gold rushes, when caves became very popular
and many new show caves were opened by entrepreneurs.
But as soon as the number of visitors shrank, many caves were closed again.
Sometimes the construction of motorways ruined shops, restaurants, and tourist sites
along the road.
As a result there are now many former show caves, which are not open any more.
The main problem for the visitor, who read about a cave in an older guide book,
is the lack of current information!
Unfortunatley deceased operations do not spend money in advertisement to tell
everybody they are closed, they just fade away silently.
As a result many people follow a guide book or old road signs and find closed
In order to give a useful overview on subterranean sights open to the public,
showcaves.com decided to complete it by a sort
of black list, which lists all caves which are closed to the public.
Please help to complete the list.
If you had trouble with a cave which has been closed, please drop us a line:
- Alexander Caverns, Lewistown, PA.
- Austin Caverns in Austin, Travis County, TX.
- Baker Caverns, Williamson, PA.
- Bethlehem Cave, SD.
- Big Bone Cave.
- Bower Cave, CA.
- Cherokee Caverns, Knoxville, TN.
- Civil War Cave, Bentonville, AR.
- Cobb Cavern, between Florence and Georgetown, Williamson County, TX.
- Coudersport Ice Mine, PA.
- Crystal Caverns, Rt 3, Cassville, MO.
- Crystal Ice Cave, I-84 American Falls, ID.
- Daniel Boone Cave, Lexington, KY.
- Devil's Sinkhole, Edwards County, TX.
- Diamond Cave, Jasper, AR.
- English Cave, greater Knoxville area, TN.
- Ezell's Cave in San Marcos, Hays County, TX.
- Fairy Cave near Boerne, Kendall County, TX.
- Gregorys Cave, greater Knoxville area, TN.
- Harpers Ferry Caverns, Harpers Ferry, WV.
- Hipple Cave, Morrison Cove, PA.
- Honey Branch Cave, MO (open for spelunking tours)
- Jesse James Cave, Park City, KY.
- Jewel Cave, Dickson, TN.
- Knox Caverns, Cobleskill, NY.
- Lookout Mountain Cave, greater Chattanooga area, TN.
- Lost River Cave, WI.
- Mammoth Cave, Catabwa Avenue, Put-In-Bay, OH.
- Manitou Cave, Fort Payne, AL.
- Massanutten Caverns, VA. 1km northeast of Keezletown and 10km southeast of Harrisonburg.
- Melrose Caverns aka Harrison's Cave aka Virginia Caverns, VA.
- Meredith Cave, greater Knoxville area, TN.
- Motlow Cave, Lynchburg, TN.
- Mt. Aetna Cave, Mt. Aetna, MD.
- Mystic Caverns, greater Chattanooga area, TN.
- New Mammoth Cave, greater Knoxville area, TN.
- Nickajack Cave, greater Chattanooga area, TN. Cave is flooded by the dam, closed by a fence and protected as a bat roost.
- Ocala Caverns, FL.
- Onyx Mountain Caverns, Newburg, MO.
- Ozark Wonder Cave, Elk Springs, MO.
- Porter's Cave, Owen County, IN.
- Richland Springs Caverns near Richland Springs, San Saba County, TX.
- Robber Baron Cave in San Antonio, Bexar County, TX.
- Robber's Cave, Lincoln, NE.
- Ruskin Cave, Dickson, TN.
- Seawra Cave, PA.
- Shoshone Caverns National Monument aka Spirit Mountain Caverns, WY.
- Stagebarn Crystal Cave, SD.
- The 7 Caves in Hillsboro, OH.
- Truitt's Cave, Langan, MO.
- Wonder Cave, Pelham, TN.
- Wonder Cave, Taney County, MO. Located on Wallace Lane. Was closed in 1946 and will not be reopened.
- Wonder Cave, near Decorah on Locust Road, IA.
- Wonderland Cave, AR.
And a last word:
if one of this caves is reopened, please help us by providing as much
information as possible.
Visit the Submit Information
page for more info.