|Location:||In the National Nature Reserve Belianske Tatras. Tatry, Belianske Tatry, cadastral area Tatranska Lomnica, district Poprad, Presovsky region. 20 min walk.|
15-DEC to MAY Tue-Sun 930 11 1230 14
JUN to 15-SEP Tue-Sun 9-16 on the full hour
16-SEP to 15-NOV Tue-Sun 930 11 1230 14
|Fee:||Adults 90,- SKK, Students 70,- SKK, Children (4-15) 40,- SKK, Foto 100,- SKK, Video 200,- SKK. Foreign language tour (additional): Adults 50,- SKK, Students 40,- SKK, Children (4-15) 20,- SKK.|
|Classification:||Karst cave, Middle Triassic limestones.|
|Dimension:||L=1,752m, VR=160m. Developed paths: L=1,275m.|
|Guided tours:||L=1,135m, D=70min., A=890m.|
Belianska Jaskyna, 059 54 Tatranska Kotlina, Tel: +421-969-4467375
Správa Slovenských Jaskýn, Hodžova 11, 031 01 Liptovský Mikuláš, +421-849-5536411, Fax: +421-849-5536311. E-mail: .
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:58:30 $|
|18th century||front parts of the cave were known to gold miners.|
|1882||opened to the public.|
|1885||entrance tunnel blasted.|
|1896||electric lights installed.|
The entrance passage is a man made tunnel which was blasted in 1885. The guide points out a chimney which leads to the original entrance, some 82m above the existing entrance. The tourist route goes up and down, like a switch back, in places opening out into large chambers. One of these, the Hudobná sien or Music Hall, is occasionally use for concerts. In other parts of the cave, the route is so narrow it is possible to touch walls on both sides of the passage. The cave is renown for its speleothems, the most outstanding of which is the stalagmite known as ”The Tower of Pisa„, others take the form of stalactite waterfalls, pagoda like stalagmites and rimstone pools of incredible beauty.
On 5 August 1881 the cave was explored by Julius Husz and Johan Britz, two villagers from nearby Spisská Belá. More discoveries were made in 1882 by A Kalstein, I Verbovszky and J Britz. A part of the cave was opened to the public in 1882 and electric lights were installed in 1896. In 1883 Samuel Weber, the first cave guide, published a map of the cave by E Schlomm. The healing effect of the cave climate is appreciated by patients suffering from respiratory aliments.
Text by Tony Oldham (2002). With kind permission.
|Main Index | Slovakia|