|Location:||Near Kotlenica. 25km from Split. From Split take road through Dugopolje and Kotlenice to the hamlet Punde. The parking is at the road, 300m easy walk to the cave entrance.|
|Open:||All year daily 9-20.|
|Classification:||Karst cave marble|
Dr. Fritz Kerner (1904):
Die Grotte von Kotlenice am Nordfuße der Mosor planina,
T. Rada, G. Nonveiller (2000): The Survey of Speleological, Archaeological and Biospeleological Researches in the Vranjača Cave near Kotlenice Village, Alcadi 2000, Zadar
|Address:||Obitelj Punda, selo Kotlenice, zaselak Punda, 21204 Dugopolje, Tel: +385-21-812-649, Tel/Fax: +385-21-812-616, Cell: +385-98-947-4149 and +385-98-749-000.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:55:42 $|
|1900||exploration by speleologists from the PTD Liburnija in Zadar.|
|1903||surveyed by the miner Luigi Miotto.|
|1904||the geologist Dr. Fritz Kerner from Vienna explored the cave.|
|1927||begin of developmend, construction of trails and road to the cave entrance.|
|1929||electric light installed.|
|15-DEC-1929||opened to the public.|
|1934-1935||archaeological excavations by Professor Umberto Girometta.|
|1963||declared a Geomorphologic Natural Monument.|
|1970||electric lighs renovated.|
Špilja Vranjača (Vranjaca Cave) is said to be the most beautiful cave in Central Dalmatia. There are two big chambers, connected by a corridor. Vranjaca is located at the northern slopes of mount Mosor, about 25km from Split.
This cave was known for a very long time, at least the entrance called Atrium. Exploration of the cave behind stared in 1900, when speleologists from the PTD Liburnija in Zadar first explored the cave. The miner Luigi Miotto made the first survey in 1903. Then the mining engineer Rade Mikacic, the Head of the Section for Research of Karst Phenomena, started to develop the cave. A 450m long paved road, a parking lot with turning place, and a path to the cave entrance were built. Pine trees were planted around the cave. The cave was equipped with electric light, concrete paths, and iron handrail. The passage from the atrium had to be artificially extended. Finally in 1929 the cave was opened to the public.
In the entrance area Professor Umberto Girometta discovered remains from the early Neolithic. In the years 1934 and 1935 he made archaeological excavations and found earthenware and bone fragments. He published various articles in scientific journals and newspapers, promoting the the cave.
After World War II the cave fell into a sleep, only visited by a few mountaineers and some tourists. But after it was declared a Natural Monument and was put under the care of Šumsko gospodarstvo (Forest Economy) the installations were renovated and the cave reopened.
|Main Index | Croatia | Dalmatia|