At Kelvedon Hatch.
A128 south of Marden Ash, half way between Pilgrims Hatch and Chipping Ongar.
Location by UK Streetmap
|Open:||MAR-OCT Mon-Fri 10-16, Sat, Sun, Hol 10-17, tours on the hour. NOV-FEB Thu-Sun 10-16. |
|Fee:||Adults £5, Children (5-16) £3, Family (2+2) £12. Groups (15+): 10% discount. |
|Classification:||Secret Bunkers atomic bunker (cold war remnant)|
|Guided tours:||self guided tours with handset.|
|Address:||Kelvedon Hatch Secret Nuclear Bunker, Crown Buildings, Kelvedon Hall Lane, Brentwood CM14 5TL, Essex. Tel: +44-1277-364-883. E-mail:|
|Last update:||$Date: 2013/04/25 23:00:12 $|
|1952||simple bungalow built by the Air Ministry.|
|1992||decommissioned and bought back from the government by the Parrish family.|
The Kelvedon Hatch Secret Nuclear Bunker is one of those secret bunkers, located under an inconspicuous looking bungalow. The bunker is protected by 3m reinforced concrete and blast doors made from tank metal.
The bunker had four different usages during his history:
Like many other bunkers it was abandoned after the Cold War and turned into a tourist attraction. A funny story is the change in owners: The land to build the bunker was requisitioned from the local farmer J. A. Parrish. But when it was decommissioned, it was bought back from the government by the Parrish family, at a closed bid public auction. So they got their land back and are now owners of a nuclear bunker.
The bunker is accessed through a simple bungalow, originally built in 1952 by the Air Ministry. From this "harmless" building a 120m long tunnel leads into the main bunker. This is the lowest of three levels, at 25m depth, containing communication and plant equipment. The second level is the government level. The top level contains a small surgery, several washrooms, dormitories, and a large canteen.
|Main Index | Britain | Essex|