Take the A174 trunk road from Middlesborough towards Whitby.
After passing through Saltburn look for the brown tourist sign.
The Museum is on the left-hand side of the road.
Location by UK Streetmap
APR to OCT Mon-Fri 10:30-15:30, Sat 13-15:30, Sun, Hol 13-15:30.
NOV to MAR after appointment.
Adults GBP 4, Children GBP 2, Family GBP 10.
Groups (12+): Adults GBP 2, Children GBP 1.50.
|Classification:||Iron Mine Ironstone.|
|Guided tours:||D=90min, V=6,000/a.|
|Address:||Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum, Deepdale, Skinningrove, Loftus, Saltburn, Cleveland TS13 4AP, Tel: +44-1287-642877, Fax: +44-1287-642977. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:55:06 $|
|1847||Skinningrove mine opened.|
|1850||begin of the great iron rush.|
|1865||Loftus Mine opened.|
|1958||Loftus Mine closed.|
|1981||Tom Leonard died.|
|1983||Tom Leonard Mining Museum opened to the public.|
|renamed Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum.|
The Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum is located at the site of the former Loftus Mine, which was the biggest of 83 ironstone mines in the area. The first who had the idea to create a museum on this site was Tom Leonard, former Evening Gazette journalist. When he died he left memorabilia which were the base of the museum when it was opend two years later. It was named Tom Leonard Mining Museum in his honor, but was later renamed Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum to allow the access of grant aid. There are now underground tours visiting the Skinningrove mine.
The Museum is built on the site of the old Loftus Mine, which was worked for ironstone between 1865 and 1958. It is entirely managed and staffed by voluntary labour, but receives help and advice from Cleveland Potash Ltd and other local firms. Curatorial advice is given by the Redcar and Cleveland Museums Service.
The museum contains artefacts and photographs showing the history of the ironstone industry in Cleveland. The visitor enters the mine via an original drift from which about 1000 wagon of iron ore a day emerged. The visitor gets the complete experience of being underground and is even allowed to fire an "explosive" charge.
The museum is named after Tom Leonard, a local journalist, who collected many photographs and artefacts of the local ironstone industry. When he died in 1981 his family and friends established the museum in his memory.
The museum offers free car parking, museum shop for gifts and books, a picnic area and toilets. Many areas have disabled access - contact the museum to discuss arrangements.
Text by Tony Oldham (2001). With kind permission.
|Main Index | Britain | Cleveland|