|Location:||On the north side of the A44 trunk road about 17km east of Aberystwyth|
18-MAR to MAY Mon-Fri, Sun 10-17.
JUN Mon-Fri, Sun 10-18.
JUL to AUG daily 10-18.
SEP to OCT Mon-Fri, Sun 11-17.
NOV to FEB pre-booked groups of 20+.
Last Admissions 2 hours before closing.
Adults GBP 7.25, Childrens (4-15) GBP 4.25, Childrens (0-3) free, Seniors GBP 5.50, Students GBP 5.50, Family (2+2) GBP 20, Family (2+4) GBP 25.
Group discounts. Payment in Euros welcome.
|Classification:||Silver Mine Lead Mine|
Mine: D=45min, L=200m.
|Bibliography:||Bick, David (1992): The Old Metal Mines of Mid-Wales, Part 2: Cardigan - The Rheidol to Goginan|
|Address:||Silver River Mines Ltd, Llywernog Mine Museum Trust Ltd, Llywernog Mine Museum, Ponterwyd, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion SY23 3AB, Tel: +44-1970-890620, Fax +44-1545-570823, E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1756||Lewis Morris leased this mine.|
|1790||Balcombe's Level driven.|
|1813||the mine closed putting 50 men out of work.|
|1840||the Francises took over the mine to provide work for the unemployed members of their families.|
|1878||mining virtually ended.|
|1907||revival as a zinc prospect.|
|1973||the old mine was saved from dereliction by the late Dr Stephen Harvey and his son Peter Lloyd-Harvey of Aberaeron who opened the mine to the public.|
The upper Ordovician and lower Silurian beds provide the basis of the lead and zinc metalliferous mineral lodes traversing this area.
The mining of the silver-rich lead ore was a major rural industry in Mid-Wales for nearly 2000 years. Llywernog is a fine example of a Welsh water-powered metalliferous mine. Three lodes were exploited to a depth of 132 m below the surface between 1756 and 1907. The trail around a fascinating 2.8 hectare "Discovery Park" takes the visitor around the machinery and displays that illustrate ore-dressing processes, from ore crushing to mineral separation. Surface features include a reconstructed horse-gin, windlasses and working water wheels. The new panning shed presents an opportunity to try your hand at washing mined minerals such as galena and pyrites.
There is an easy underground access to Balcombe's Level which was driven to intersect the Main Lode in 1790. The underground tour has recently been extended beyond the "Earthquake Zone" and an area of stoping called the great chasm where the "Captain's Tale" is told.
Guided tours of the mine take half an hour, but allow a total of 2 hours or more to visit the surface exhibitions. There is free coach and car parking, free access to the Shop and Tea Room, which provides light refreshment. There is also a picnic site. The site covers an area of 2.8 hectares.
Text by Tony Oldham (2001). With kind permission.