Lohja, Southern Finland, west of Helsinki.
From Helsinki E18 west, keep left on 1186, then 25 to Lohja. Turn right to city center, follow road Karstutie to the north, turn right on Tytyrinkatu.
(60°15'32.54"N, 24° 3'58.46"E)
JAN to MAY Sat, Sun 12, 13:30, 15.
JUN to AUG daily 11-17, hourly on the hour.
SEP to DEC Sat, Sun 12, 13:30, 15.
Closed during Midsummer.
Foreign languages only after appointment.
Adults EUR 10, Children (0-16) EUR 5, Family (2+*) EUR 20.
Groups (30+): Adults EUR 8, School Pupils EUR 5.
Minimum price for groups EUR 50.
Lohja Museum, Tel: +358-19-3694203.
Lohja Tourist Service Centre, Karstuntie 4, 08100 Lohja, Tel: +358-19-3691309, Tel: +358-19-3691218. E-mail:
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:54:29 $|
|16th cty||Gustavus Vasa, King of Sweden and Finland, gives his permission to start the first iron mine.|
|1897||first limestone mining.|
|1911||start of industrial limestone mining.|
|1947||start of underground mining.|
|1956||mining completely underground.|
|MAY-1988||museum at level 110m opened.|
This is an underground limestone mine, which is rather strange, as most countries quarry limestone. But Finland is part of an old craton, crystalline and metamorphic rocks, with almost no younger sedimentary rocks. So there is little limestone found in the country and this deposit is valuable.
The Tytyri gruvmuseum (Tytyri mine museum) is located on the 110m level of the Tytyri gruv (Tytyri pit). Beneath the typical tools and machinery, descriptions and documents of every day life of the miners, there is also an art exhebition underground. There is also a so-called adventure mine. The level of the museum is reached either by original mine wagon, a sort of funicular, or by a modern lift.
This mine is still working, today the miners work at the 350m level. The network of more than 60km of tunnels is crisscrossning under the lake and the town Lohja.
The mining at Lohja was stared in the 16th century with a permission by Gustavus Vasa, King of Sweden and Finland. But at first it was an iron mine. Then in 1897 limestone was discovered, which is actually not an ore. Nevertheless, Scandinavia lacks limestone an the rock is needed for various reasons, to make cement and concrete for example, or as a part of various indurstrial processes. So it was lucrative to mine the limestone, even underground which is much more expensive.
The limestone mine started with a quarry in 1911. In 1947 the crushing plant was erected in the mine below at 110m and huge limestone blocks were dropped into the mine for crushing. In 1956 the oben cast mining was stopped and now all mining is underground.
In 2012 the mining museum was the location of a special event named Muru Pops Down in Tytyri. Muru restaurant was named Restaurant of the Year 2012 by the Finnish Gastronomic Society. They offer a four-course dinner in a mining canteen which is part of the museum. The menu is salted salmon seasoned with cumin and mustard-acquavit sauce, fennel risotto with escargots flambéed in Pernod and roasted veal tenderloin and hangar steak served with béarnaise sauce. The tickets for €128 include transportation to and from the mine from Helsinki.
|Main Index | Finland | Southern Finland|