Old Stone Age
1,000,000 to 15,000 BC
The Paleolithic Period in Europe is the time of Homo sapiens, an archaic
type of human, probably derived from Homo erectus.
Homo erectus lived in Africa, so this is also seen as a time of slow
motion or migration into Europe.
By around 200,000 years ago, Homo sapiens neanderthalensis appeared, and
the Mousterian is generally associated with the Neanderthals.
- Lower Paleolithic (450,000 - 100,000 BCE)
- Middle Paleolithic (100,000 to 40,000 BCE)
- Upper Paleolithic (40,000 years ago to 9000 BCE)
- Périgordian (33,000 - 20,000 BCE)
- Aurignacian (35,000 - 20,000 BCE)
- Solutrean (20,000 - 16,000 BCE)
- Magdalenian (16,000 - 9,500 BCE)
- Azilian (9,500 - 9,000 BCE)