Skansen Górniczy "Królowa Luiza" w Zabrzu

Mining Folk Museum "Queen Luiza"

Useful Information

Location: Zabrze, ul Wolnosci 402. Southeast of the center, at the road to Bytom.
Open: All year Tue-Fri 9-14. [2006]
Classification: MineCoal Mine
Light: electric.
Guided tours: D=2.5h, L=1,560m.
Address: Coal Mining Museum in Zabrze (Muzeum Gornictwa Weglowego w Zabrzu), 41-800 Zabrze, ul 3 Maja 91, Tel: +48-32-271-8831 or +48-32-271-6591.
Tour Organiser: Subterranean Skansen "Queen Luiza" in Zabrze, 41-800 Zabrze, ul Wolnosci 402, Tel: +48-32-271-5211-417. E-mail: contact
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


1791 mine opened.
1985 new museum inaugurated.


This historic mine dates from 1791 and in 1985 a new building was erected, especially for visitors, to house an exhibition of mining equipment through the ages. Visitors are shown around the plant and buildings at the pit top, including a 1915 steam hoist. The tour includes a descent to the 35m adit level and ends in the gift shop.

Text by Tony Oldham (2002). With kind permission.