|Location:||In the park of the Art Centre Silkeborg Spa, Gjessøvej 40, Silkeborg.|
|Open:||All year Sun 13-16. |
|Fee:||Adults DKR 10, Children (12+) DKR 10. |
|Classification:||World War II Bunker|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
Silkeborg Bunker Museum, Silkeborg, Tel: +45-86813885 (reservations).
Peter Fahnøe, Tel: +45-86846269
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|MAR-1943||first bunkers built.|
|03-NOV-1943||Hitler issued Directive no. 51, which ordered full alert for the German occupational force in Denmark.|
|05-NOV-1943||German Headquartes moved to Silkeborg Spa.|
|05-MAY-1945||the British ordered, that the headquarters should be used to organize the withdrawal of the German troops in Denmark.|
|06-JUN-1945||last 350 German soldiers repatriated.|
|06-JUN-1945||German troops left finally, facility became refugee camp.|
|summer 1947||last refugees left the facility.|
The bunkers at Silkeborg Spa were built by the Germans during World War II. At this time Denmark was occupied and the Germans had their headquarters at Nyboder School in Copenhagen. They were looking for an alternative location and so they built this facility.
Silkeborg Spa became headquarters of the 416th Infantry Division's General Staff, headed by Lieutenant general Pliger. Altogether an area of 40 ha was requisitioned and barracks and bunkers were built. 40 concrete buildings were erected, of which twelve were bunkers with two metre thick walls.
The Germans were afraid of an allied invasion in Jütland and so Hitler ordered full alert for the German occupational force in Denmark in November 1943. The headquarter moved to Silkeborg Spa two days later, and Silkeborg became became field headquarters for the German head of command in Denmark, General der Infanterie Herman von Hanneken.
But the facility was not liquidated at the end of the war. On the 05-MAY-1945, the British ordered, that the headquarters should be used to organize the withdrawal of the German troops in Denmark. 350 German soldiers were left at Silkeborg Spa until 06-JUN-1945, when they were disarmed and repatriated.
Now the barracks became refugee camp for German refugees and it was necessary to build additional barracks. The refugees called the older German buildings Altstadt (old town) and the new barracks Neustadt (new town). The facility was used as refugee camp until summer 1947, when the last refugees left.
The Silkeborg Bunker Museum is located in one of the twelve German troop bunkers and shows photos and documents of the time of German occupation during World War II, and the time of the refugee camp after the war. It is maintained by a private interest group.