김녕사굴

Kimnyongsa Gul - Gimnyeongsa Gul - Gimnyeongsagul Cave - Gimnyeongsa Cave - Snake Cave


Useful Information

Location: Kimnyong-ni. On Jeju Island.
Open: closed.
[2020]
Fee: closed.
[2020]
Classification: Speleologylava tube
Light: electric.
Dimension: L=705m.
Guided tours:
Photography:
Accessibility:
Bibliography: Greg Middleton (2004): Jeju Island Lava Caves - World Heritage?, South Korea 2003. Journal of the Sydney Speleological Society 2004 Vol 48 (6) 185-199
Address: Kimnyongsa Gul, Donggimnyeong-ri, Gujwa-eup, Bukjeju-gun, Jeju-do, Management Office, Tel: +82-64-783-5412.
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.

History

1515 the snake of the cave killed by judge Lin Seo.
1946-47 cave explored by a teacher from Gimnyeong Elementary School with his pupils, cave named after this school.
28-MAR-1970 designated Natural Monument No. 98.

Description

This is a former show cave very near Manjanggul cave and undoubtedly part of the same original lava tube system but no longer physically connected to Manjanggul. Basic pathways, including stairs, are still in place, as are the remnants of the electric lighting system. The passages resemble Manjang in that they are large and display various flow features. There are many cracks in the ceiling which admit water during wet weather. Silt and sand is in evidence but the only calcite formations are some superficial flowstone. The cave is sufficiently impressive to be used as a show cave again or perhaps as an Adventure experience if visitors brought their own lighting.


Text by Tony Oldham (2004). With kind permission.

Gimnyeongsagul Cave is a branch of Manjanggul and designated and protected as Natural Monument No. 98 along with the Manjanggul Cave. The 700m long lava tube is S-shaped. It was explored by a teacher from Gimnyeong Elementary School with his pupils in 1946 and 1947. They surveyed the 700m long, 25m high and 18m wide passage. And while the cave was long known as Snake Cave it was named Gimnyeong Cave after this school. He also discovered 제주 어음리 빌레못동굴 (Jeju Eumri Villemot Cave or Philemon Cave) in 1969 and explored it for 740m. It was designated as Korea's Natural Monument No. 342 in 1984.

This cave is currently closed, all tourists visit the nearby Manjanggul cave. It was developed and has trails and electric light, but it has been closed now for several years and there are no plans to reopen it.

At the entrance of the cave is a monument honoring Soryon about whom the following tale is told.

Once in Snake cave a monstrous snake lived, which brought misfortune to the local people. Soryon, a magistrate of the Joseon Dynasty went to the cave and killed the snake. But on his way back to the village a mysterious red light chased him. He fell from his horse and died.


Local tale.