|Location:||At the corner of Ponce de Leon and Burt Parks Road, west of US Hwy 17. US Hwy 17 North from Deland, turn left onto Ponce De Leon Boulevard.|
Park: All year daily 8-sundown.
Sugarmill Restaurant: All year Mon-Fri 9-17, Sat, Sun 8-17, serving until 16.
Closed on Thanksgiving, 25-DEC.
Adults USD 2, Vehicles (including 2-8 passengers) USD 6, Vehicles (including 1 passenger) USD 4.
|Address:||De Leon Springs State Park, 601 Ponce de Leon Boulevard, De Leon Springs, Florida 32130, Tel: +1-386-985-4212|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:59:30 $|
|12-JUN-1982||opened as a State Park.|
De Leon Springs is named for Juan Ponce de León, who led the first Spanish expedition to Florida in 1513. According to legend he was searching for the fountain of youth, so several springs in the area were named after him. There is another park with the name Ponce de Leon Springs.
Archaeologic remains proof that this spring was visited by Native Americans since 6,000 years. The first settlers came in the early 1800s and built sugar and cotton plantations nearby. Those were destroyed during the Second Seminole War. At the end of the century, around 1880, the spring became a winter resort and was used as a spa. It was first advertised as "a fountain of youth impregnated with a deliciously healthy combination of soda and sulphur."
Today the whole place is a State Park and offers numerous outdoor experiences, like canoe, kayak and paddleboat rentals, a swimming area, and a picknick ground. At the Old Spanish Sugar Mill Restaurant, guests can make their own pancakes at the table. De Leon Springs flows into the Lake Woodruff National Wildlife Refuge, 7300 ha of lakes, creeks and marshes, open to canoeists and kayakers.
|Main Index | U.S.A. | Florida|