In Sequoia National Park, between the Ash Mountain entrance and Giant Forest.
From parking lot 800m hike down Cascade Creek.
No buses, trailers or vehicles over 6m long on Crystal Cave Road!
08-MAY to 11-JUN Mon-Fri 11, 12, 14, 15, Sat, Sun 11-16, every hour on the full hour.
Memorial Day Weekend 10:30-17, every half hour.
12-JUN to 06-SEP Mon-Fri 10:30-16:30, Sat 10-17, Sun 10:30-17, every half hour.
07-SEP to 19-SEP Mon-Fri 11, 12, 14, 15, Sat, Sun 11-16, every hour on the full hour.
20-SEP to 14-OCT Mon-Fri 11, 13, 14, Sat 11-15, Sat 11-14, every hour on the full hour, weather permitting.
Adults USD 13, Golden Access USD 12, Children (5-12) USD 6.50, Children (0-4) free, Seniors (62+) USD 12.
No discount for National Park or federal passes.
SNHA members get a 25% discount on regular cave tours.
Tickets must be purchased in advance at Lodgepole or Foothills visitor centers!
|Guided tours:||D=50min., L=800m. Not wheelchair accessible.|
Joel Despain (S.N.H.A.) (1994):
Crystal Cave: A Guidebook to the Underground World of Sequoia National Park,
49 p., $9.95.
Joel Despain (2003): Hidden Beneath the Mountains, Caves of the Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks. 128 pp, many colour photos. Cave Books, Ohio, USA, ISBN: 0939748568 amazon.com
|Address:||Sequoia Natural History Association, HCR-89 Box 10, Three Rivers, CA 93271, Tel: +1-209-565-3134. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:59:27 $|
|????||two Native Americans die or are intered in Crystal Cave.|
|1600-1810||burned wood is left behind inside the entrance to Crystal Cave.|
|28-APR-1918||discovered by A L Medley and C M Webster, two park trail construction employees who were fishing along Cascade Creek on their day off.|
|30-APR-1918||first exploration led by Walter Fry.|
|JUL-1918||Marble Hall found in Crystal Cave.|
|29-MAY-1940||opened to the public.|
|MAY-1946||the book Crystal Cave by Frank Oberhansley is published.|
|1957-1958||self-guided tours lead to wide spread vandalism.|
|1982||operated by Sequoia Natural History Association|
|MAY-2010||propane generator powered electric light replaced by solar cell powered led light.|
Crystal Cave occurs in a formation of limestone which was altered under high temperatures and pressure into marble. There are nearly 100 more marble solution caves in the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park. They are famous for impressive speleothems and Crystal Cave is know as the most impressive one.
The entrance to Crystal Cave is closed by an iron gate, looking like a spider's web. The cave is maze-like in character. Marble Hall measures 60m long, 20m wide, and is 10 to 15m high.
This cave is often referenced as Crystal Sequoia Cave, which is a good idea as there are virtually dozens of Crystal Caves all over the world. But the official name is still Crystal Cave.
During winter 2009/2010 the electric light in Crystal Cave was renovated. The light bulbs were replaced by LED (light-emitting diodes) light, which needs only a fraction of the energy. As a result the propane generator which was used to power the cave light was replaced by solar cells. An array of batteries stores the energy from the solar panels. The propane generator is still available for case of emergency, or if by coincidence the energy of the cells is not suffient. This cave is the first show cave managed by the National Park Service which is actually lit by the sun. The renovation was financed with about $300,000 in federal recovery funds and grants.
|Main Index | U.S.A. | California|