|Open:||JUN to AUG|
|Address:||Dannemora Gruvor, Ånghammarens Turistbyrå, Österbybruk, Tel: +46-295-21492. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:58:16 $|
|1481||first mentioned as a silver mine.|
|2008||plans for reopening the mining due to high prices.|
|Image: Das Eisenbergwerk zu Dannemora (the iron mine at Dannemora). Historic engraving from a German enzyclopedia named Meyers Universum, published by Carl Joseph Meyer. By nn in ca 1850, 15x10cm.|
The Dannemora Gruvor (Dannemora mines) are an area west of Österbybruk with numerous ancient open cast mines and the remains of underground mines. Mining started about 500 years ago and was intensified during the 16th century by King Gustav Vasa. He contracted German miners for their expertise. During the next century miners from Walloonia, Belgium, started mines in the area. The most famous mine owner at this time was the merchant Lois De Geer.
The 17th and 18th century was the heyday of the mine, with the high quality ore having both, the highest content of iron and the highest price. The mines supported more than 30 ironworks in the area. And minig was continued until late in the 20th century, when the mining finally became unprofitable. But with currently rising iron prices, the reopening of the mine in 2008 seems possible.
This area is both a historic site and mining technology museum. There are a souvenir shop, a craftshop, an atique store and a mineral museum. Visitors may stroll along the various open cast mines, the pits have vertical walls and look pretty impressive. There are some 50 open cast mines, the phantastic abysses made the mine field a popular attraction for painters, writers and royalty from many countries during the 19th century. Carl von Linné visited the mines, and there are numerous historic paintings, in oil and copper engravings.
Storrymmningen is the longest open cast mine in th field, more than 200m long and 100m deep. It is visited on guided tours, which then enter the underground mine and show the main shaft going down to the 620m level. The tour ends at a small mchine house nearby, which contains the first steam engine of Sweden, which was used between 1728 and 1735 to power the water pumps of the mine.
|Main Index | Sweden | Uppsala Län|