|Location:||Market! Market!, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City, Manila.|
Not yet opened.
Not yet opened.
|Classification:||World War II Bunker|
|Address:||Fort Bonifacio Tunnel, Tel: +63-, Fax: +63-,|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:57:53 $|
|1910||tunnel constructed with Fort McKinley.|
|during World War II used as a supply depot.|
|part of the Philippine Army Museum and Library.|
|22-MAR-2012||reopened to the public(?)|
The Fort Bonifacio Tunnel is a part of a tunnel used by the American colonial forces as a main supply depot during its battle with Filipino revolutionaries. It was constructed built before Gen. Douglas MacArthur became field marshal of the Philippine Army, so stories that he ordered the construction are actually wrong. The bunker was originally a 2.24 kilometers long central tunnel with 32 chambers and two entrances to Barangay Pembo and Barangay East Rembo. Most of it is destroyed but a 730m long part remains intact, located below the C-5 Road. The entrance is located at the Market! Market! commercial compound.
The tunnel is owned by the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), who welcomed the plan by the Bases Conversion and Development Authority (BCDA) to transform the Fort Bonifacio Tunnel into a tourist site. The area is a former army base at Taguig City which was closed and the ground sold for commercial development. The area is now called Bonifacio Global City and numerous skyscraper have already been built on this ground.
The tunel was formerly the main attraction of the Philippine Army museum and library. With the closure of the army base the museum was relocated into a business and residential district. The tunnel was abandoned by the museum but has now been opened as a heritage site.
|Main Index | The Philippines | Central Luzon|