Grotten Noord: departure from Chalet Bergrust, Luikerweg 71, district 12, Maastricht.
Grotten Zonneberg: departure from Buitengoed Slavante, 1 Slavante, Maastricht. Follow the narrow path uphill along the ENCI plant.
02-JAN to 09-JAN daily 12:30, 14.
10-JAN to 04-FEB Wed, Fri 14, Sat, Sun 12:30, 14.
05-FEB to 20-FEB daily 12:30, 14.
21-FEB to 26-MAR Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun 12:30, 14.
27-MAR to 01-JUL Mon-Sat 12:30, 14, 15:30, Sun, Hol 11, 12:30, 14, 15:30.
02-JUL to 04-SEP daily 11-16, every hour.
05-SEP to 30-OCT Mon-Sat 12:30, 14, 15:30, Sun, Hol 11, 12:30, 14, 15:30.
31-OCT to 23-DEC daily 12:30, 14, 15:30.
27-OCT to 24-DEC Wed, Fri 14, Sat, Sun 12:30, 14.
25-DEC to 31-JAN daily 12:30, 14.
27-MAR to 01-JUL, 05-SEP to 30-OCT Sat, Sun, Hol 14 in
Grotten Zonneberg: 08-JAN to 24-MAR Wed, Sat, Sun 14, 15.
26-MAR to 29-APR daily 13, 14, 15.
30-APR to 11-SEP Mon-Sat 11-16 every hour, Sun 13-16 every hour.
12-SEP to 30-OCT daily 13, 14, 15.
02-NOV to 18-DEC Wed, Sat, Sun 14, 15.
|Fee:||Adults EUR 3.75, Children (-12) EUR 2.75. |
|Classification:||Rock Mine: marl mines|
|Guided tours:||D=60min. Lead by official VVV Tourist Office guides.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:57:35 $|
|1700||fortress built on the hill.|
|1770||head of a reptile, the Mosasaurus, fund.|
|1794||fortress attacked by the French, caves used for shelter.|
|1942-1945||the famous Nightwatch of Rembrand was stored here.|
The Caves of Mount St. Pieter are not really caves, as they are not natural. This man made caverns are former limestone quarrys, or better limestone "mines" as they are underground. The rock was mined in huge caverns, but the miners had to leave colums of marl to sustain the ceiling. The result is a maze of rectangular flights of columns, long corridors with a certain atmosphere.
The walls of the caverns is covered by drawings and names. Visitors left their name and the date. Today this behavior is considered at least impolite. But 300 years ago it was considered romantic.
Newer usage of the caves was as air raid bunker during World War II. They were prepared to shelter 50,000 people, but were never used. Later even artists used the cave walls for their works.
Today there are two different parts of the cave open to the public, Grotten Noord (Northern System) and Grotten Zonneberg (Zonneberg Caves). Both are located to the south of the city, inside a hill called St. Pietersberg (120m asl), hence the name.
The limestone, mined in the caves, is a sediment which contains numerous fossils. The fossils of a Mosasaurus and a giant turtle found in the caves of Mount St. Peter are now on display in the Narural History Museum of Maastricht.
|Main Index | the Netherlands | Limburg|