|Location:||6km north of Teapa. Carretera federal (Hwy.) No. 195 from Villahermosa to the south, 53km from Villahermosa.|
|Fee:||Adults $1.50, Children $1.50.|
|Guided tours:||D=30min, L=492m.|
J. Arroyo-Cabrales, O.J. Polace (1997):
Gruta de Cocona,
Journal of Cave and Karst Studies, Volume 59, December 1997, p.174.
|Last update:||$Date: 2011/12/13 09:02:56 $|
|1876||discovered by accident during a hunt by Romulo and Laureano Calzada Casanova.|
|20-JUL-1892||first exploration by the scientist and engineer Jose Narciso Rovirosa Andrade.|
|1940||closed because of damages to the formation.|
|1967||opened as a show cave.|
|1978||cave lights and corridors improved and equiped with a sound system.|
Gruta de Cocona was discovered by Romulo and Laureano Calzada Casanova while hunting in 1876. But it was not explored until 20-JUL-1892, when the scientist and engineer Jose Narciso Rovirosa Andrade lead a group of pupils from San Juan Bautista, which is today known as Villahermosa. They explored and surveyed the complete cave.
At the beginning of the twentieth century the cave became very popular and was visited by many peoples with torches. This, and the destruction of formations, lead to its complete closing in 1940.
On an initiative of the poet Carlos Pellicer Cámara and the county autorithies, the cave was developed as an show cave and opened to the public in 1967. In 1978 the electric light and the paths were improved and the cave was equiped with a sound system.
Cocona means "Deep Water" in the language of the Zoque (zoque lenguaje). The cave is a 492m long passage with eight big chambers.
|Main Index | México | Tabasco|