|Location:||Luxembourg. A1 exit 8 (Kirchberg), on N51 avenue J.F. Kennedy towards Quartier Européen Sud/city center, After 3,5km tunr left into Parking Trois Glands.|
Adults EUR 5, Young (18-26) EUR 3, Children (3-17) free, Seniors (60+) EUR 3, LuxembourgCard Owners free.
Groups (15+): Adults EUR 3.
|Address:||Mudam Luxembourg, Musée d‘Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean, 3, Parc Dräi Eechelen, L-1499 Luxembourg, Tel: +352-4537851, Fax: +352-. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1870||destruction of the fort over four years.|
|02-JUL-2006||museum opened to the public.|
Dräi Eechelen is located at the rim of the Luxembourg plateau, with a nice view down the valley of the river Alzette and to the Corniche, the Luxembourg city center on the other side. This is the location of the historic Fort Thüngen.
The first fortification on this place was built around 1680 by Sébastien Le Prestre de Vauban, the foremost military engineer of his age. It was called Redoute du Parc by the French, who occupied the Grand Duchy at this time. From the 1730s Luxembourg was under Austrian rule and Fort Thüngen was built in 1732, around Vaubans fortification. It was constructed by and named after Freiherr von Thüngen. This fortification was destroyed between 1870 and 1874, only the gate with its three round towers and the three acorns (three glands) remained.
In the 1990s the former walls of the fort were excavated, and the whole area restored. The area was used to build the Musée d'Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean or shorter Mudam Luxembourg. This is the new museum for modern art of the city of Luxembourg. It was build together with the growth of the famous Kirchberg quarter, which was developed eastwards along the four kilometre long J. F. Kenndy Avenue. This quarter is the location of banks, insurances, embassies, and much more.
The former fortification will be the location of the Festungsmuseum Luxemburg (Fortification Museum Luxembourg). It is already completed and open to the public, but the exhibitions are not complete. The reason why it is listed is the building itself, which is mostly underground. There are huge cellars and casemats, which are now used for the museum. The tunnels of Luxembourg had a length of 23 kilometers, and there were many under this fort. Especially there was a 169m long tunnel to Obergrünewald.
As a result of the history, the huge cellars and tunnels on one side, and the destruction of most of the fortification on the other side, the fortification museum has become an underground museum.
|Les Drois Glands Gallery|