Parc Industriel et Ferroviaire du Fond-de-Gras


Useful Information

Location: Near Pétange.
Collectrice du Sud (A13), Richtung Pétange, Niederkorn exit (sortie no 2), towards Niederkorn At the roundabout after 4km turn right, follow signs "Fond-de-Gras".
Open: Minièresbunn (miners train):
MAY to SEP Sun, Hol afternoon. Closed 23-JUN.
[2007]
Fee: Minièresbunn (miners train):
day ticket: Adults EUR 4.50, Children (5-11) EUR 3.
Lasauvage-Saulnes and back: Adults EUR 2, Children (5-11) EUR 1.50.
[2007]
Classification:  Iron Mine
Light: electric.
Dimension:  
Guided tours:  
Photography:  
Accessibility:  
Bibliography:  
Address: Parc Industriel et Ferroviaire du Fond-de-Gras asbl, Frédéric Humbel, Coordinateur Général, 1, place du Marché, L-4756 Pétange, Tel: +352-265041-24, Fax: +352-265041-41. E-mail: contact
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
Last update:$Date: 2015/08/30 21:56:50 $

History


Description

The Parc Industriel et Ferroviaire du Fond-de-Gras is an open air museum with the main topic industrial revolution and iron mining. It is not really a special location, it is more or less the area between the villages Saulnes, Rodange, and Petingen in the southwestern corner of Luxembourg. The location Fond-de-Gras is a sort of railroad station and ore transshipping station. It is located in a forest. The various locations of the parc are connected by different trains. There is a steam engine from 1900 and the miniersbunn, the miners train. It is possible to drive by train from Petange to Fond-de-Gras, the miniersbunn connects Fond-de-Gras with Saulnes.

The village Saulnes belongs to the French département Meurthe-et-Moselle. It has a river which is called Côte Rouge in French and Roerbach in Letzebuergsch. It both means red rivulet, obviously a allusion on the red iron ores which are found in the brook. Originally a small village with its 450 inhabitants was living on farming and wine growing, it also always had a little bit of iron industry, with a smith and watermill documented since th 14th century. But the surface mining ended in the mid 19th century and around 1880 it became the location of a furnace for ores mined in teh area. The number of inhabitants grows rapidly, the number of furnaces too, in 1893 the village has 2,500 inhabitants and four furnaces. The village was an important housing area for miners, but the golden days ended in 1965 with the decline of the Lothringian mining industry. In 1968 the last to furnaces were shut down.


See also


Main Index | Luxembourg | Luxembourg
Last updated Terms of Use, © Jochen Duckeck.