Easter to JUN Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun, Hol 15-19.
JUL to AUG Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun, Hol 16-20.
SEP to 15-OCT Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun, Hol 15-19.
Guided mine tours every hour at the entrance of the mine.
Mining museum: Adults EUR 3.
Mine tour and mining museum: Adults EUR 5, Reduced EUR 3.
Mine tour, mining museum and medieval town: Adults EUR 8.
Mining museum: self guided.
Mine tour: D=45min.
Mine tour, mining museum and medieval town: D=3h, min 8 participants.
Museo Delle Miniere, Piazza Garibaldi 1, 56040 Montecatini Val di Cecina PI, Tel: +39-0588-31026.
Comune di Montecatini Val di Cecina, Tel: +39-0588-31026, Fax: +39-0588-31615.
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:56:13 $|
|1469||first written mention of the mining.|
|1855||shaft Pozzo Alfredo inaugurated.|
Museo delle Miniere di Montecatini (Mine Museum of Montecatini) is dedicated to the mining history of Montecatini Val di Cecina. The earliest mine happened during Etruscan times, and was continued until the 20th century with several interrutions. The mining miseum is located in the Palazzo Pretorio, the former seat of city government, at the Piazza Garibaldi. It is also called Centro Di Documentazione (documentation center).
The Miniera di Caporciano (Caporciano mine) is located about 1.5km from Montecatini Val di Cecina. The heyday of the copper mine started 1827 when the mining was reactivated. The engineers August Schneider and Sigismund Hiller developed the mine which made it one of the most modern and productive mines. During the 19th century it became the largest copper mine in Europe. At the end of the nineteenth century, the mine was purchased by the Società Anonima della Miniera di Montecatini. But the costs of extraction increased because of the increasing depths of the ore. And due to a lack of modernization of the mine became more and more unprofitable Finally it was closed permanently in 1907.
The mine entrance and the surface structures were restored. The underground tour shows real mine galleries which were dug during the 19th century.
|Main Index | Italy | Toscana|