|Location:||Fertőrákos, 10 km from Sopron.|
APR to OCT daily 8-19.
NOV to MAR daily 10-16.
|Classification:||Limestone Quarries and Mine Cave Church|
|Address:||Fertőrákosi Kőfejtő, Fő utca 1, 9421 Fertõrákos, Tel: +36-99-355026.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:55:45 $|
|Roman times||begin of quarrying in the area.|
|1944||transit/labour camp established in a quarry by the Germans.|
|1948||end of quarrying.|
|1970||first concert in the quarry.|
|2001||inscribed into the UNESCO World Heritage List.|
The Fertőrákosi Kőfejtő (Fertörakos Quarry) is an ancient limestone quarry. The Leitha limestone is of Middle Miocene Badenian age, it was named after the Leithagebirge just across the border in Austria. The limestone was quarried since Roman times, and many buildings in the area and in Vienna were constructed using this rock. But the limestone was rather deep below a cover of other rocks and soil. So after a long time of open cast quarrying, the limestone was finally mined underground. The result were huge underground chambers, almost rectangular, with 12m to 15m high ceilings which are supported by huge pillars. The quarry was mined in the ancient room and pillar technique.
The quarrying ended in 1948, and for many years it was unused. Then the great accoustics of the place was discovered. The nearby city of Sopron has a music festival once a year, and since 1970 there are regular concerts in the quarry. The chamber which is used as a concert hall is called Fertőrákosi Barlangszínház (Fertörakos Cave Theatre). During summer it is also used for theatre performances. The chamber is big enough to seat 743 persons.
|Main Index | Hungary | Western Transdanubia|