Near Skoto/Skoteino/Skotinó, Gouves, Pediada, 20km east of Iraklion.
From Skotino 30min walk to the north west.
|Dimension:||VR=160m, Ar=2,500m, A=225m asl.|
Paul Faure (1964):
Fonctions des Cavernes Crétoises,
Paris. E de Boccard. Faure claims that this cave is the famous labyrinth of Knossos.
Andy Peggie (2002): A Visit to the Cave of Agios Paraskevi, Crete, Grampian Speleological Group Bulletin fourth series, October 2002 Vol 1 (3) 29, photo.
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:55:23 $|
|1933||first excavations by Evans and Pendlebury .|
|1953||more excavations by P. Faure.|
|1962||systematic excavation by K. Davaras.|
Located about 20km east of Iraklion, and close to the village of Skoto or Skoteino, this is one of the largest and most spectacular on the island, about an hours walk from the coast.
Skotino Cave is a very important sacred cave, first used as a place of worship by the Greeks and then later by the Christians. It has a depth of 160 meters and it is on four levels. It was first investigated by Evans, and in 1962 the archaeologist K. Davaras carried out a systematic excavation. He found parts of vases, bone needles, and Late Minoan bronze figurines dating from the Neolithic to Roman periods. Like many other caves, it appears to have had some religious importance. Some people even believe this was the labyrinth of the legendary Minotaur.
The first chamber the Great Temple is 96 m long, 36 m wide and 46 m wide with numerous speleothem, most of which have been given names. Beyond this is the Hall of the Altar 25 m long, 8 m wide and 10 m high. Some other smaller chambers follow.
Text by Tony Oldham (2002). With kind permission.
|Main Index | Greece | Crete|