All year Mon-Sat 9-17.
|Guided tours:||after appointment|
St Andrew's Hall Undercroft, The Halls, St Andrews Plain, Norwich, NR3 1AU, Tel: +44-1603-628477.
Norwich Tourist Information Centre, The Forum, Millennium Plain, Norwich, NR2 1TF, Tel: +44-1603-213999, Fax: +44-1603-213990. E-mail:
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:55:12 $|
|1226||Dominican Blackfriars came to Norwich.|
St Andrews is a former dominican priory, the only English friary to survive intact from the Medieval. The first Dominican Black Friars' priory was destroyed by fire and was rebuilt in the early 15th century. It contains several magnificent flint buildings, known as The Halls. The new church was completed in 1449. During the reformation, the site was saved by the city corporation. They bought it from the King for use as a common hall. St Andrew's Hall is the former nave of the new church. The complex was used as a mint and as a workhouse, today it is used to host conferences, fairs, weddings and concerts.
Below St Andrews Hall is a well restored cellar with pointed arches, built of clinker bricks. This place has been used as a public café for several years. At the monet it is for hire for all kinds of festivities. The cafe proprietors are Chameleon Catering.
|Main Index | Britain | Norfolk|