Dragon Hall Undercroft


Useful Information

Location:
Open: APR to DEC Mon-Fri 10-17, last admission 16:15, Sun 11-16, last admission 15:15.
[2012]
Fee: Yes.
[2012]
Classification:  Cellar
Light: electric.
Dimension:  
Guided tours: Audioguide available, smart phone via QR codes. Free guided tour Tue, Thu 14.
Photography:  
Accessibility: wheelchair accessible with a lift
Bibliography: No Author (): Dragon Hall: A Brief History, GBP 3.50, available in the Dragon Hall shop.
Address: Dragon Hall Museum, The Norfolk & Norwich Heritage Trust, 115-123, King Street, Norwich NR1 1QE, Tel: +44-1603-663-922. E-mail: contact
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
Last update:$Date: 2015/08/30 21:55:08 $

History

 
1427begin of construction.
1430completed.
1987Norfolk and Norwich Heritage Trust formed to restore the building.
2005restauration with GBP 1.4 Million from the Heritage Lottery Fund and GBP 400,000 raised by the Trust.
2006renovation comleted.

Description

Dragon Hall is an outstanding example of a 15th century Merchant's Hall, the only Medieval trading hall known to still exist in Western Europe. It was built by Robert Toppes, a wealthy cloth merchant, between 1427 and 1430. The main building is called Great Hall and has a crown post roof with an intricately carved and painted dragon, which is the reason for the buildings name. The hall in the first floor is 27m long and timber-framed. The ground floor rooms and undercroft provided warehouse storage for all manner of goods.

The cellar below the merchant hous is open with the museum and may be visited on self guided tours. It is a series of pointed vaults built in the 15th century in gothic style. It was used to store goods.


See also


Main Index | Britain | Norfolk
Last updated Terms of Use, © Jochen Duckeck.