APR to OCT daily 10-17.
NOV to MAR Mon-Fri 10-15, Sat, Sun, Hol 10-17.
Adults GBP 6.95, Children (3-15) GBP 4.75, Children (0-2) free, Family (2+2) GBP 21, Senior (60+) GBP 4.95, Disabled GBP 4.95, Students GBP 4.95.
Groups: Adults GBP 5.95, Children GBP 4.25, Senior (60+) GBP 4.95, Disabled GBP 4.95.
Colliery Tours: Adults GBP 1.95, Children (3-15) GBP 1.20.
Train Rides: Adults GBP 1.50, Children (3-15) GBP 0.95, Family (2+2) GBP 3.50.
|Address:||Snibston Discovery Museum, Snibston, Ashby Road, Coalville, Leicestershire, LE67 3LN, Tel: +44-1530-278444, Fax: +44-1530-813301. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:55:06 $|
|1500s||earlies evidence for coal mining in Leicestershire is a woollen coat.|
|1828||Swannington to Leicester railway buildt to transport coal to the city.|
|1831||Snibston estate purchased by George Stephenson.|
|1832||Snibston Colliery opened.|
|1915||Stephenson Shaft sunk.|
|1947||coal industry was nationalized.|
|1961-1963||drift mine sunk.|
|1985||site bought by Leicestershire County Council.|
|1992||museum opened to the public.|
|19-FEB-2011||artificial mine tunnel opened.|
Snibston Discovery Museum is a modern interactive museum loacted on the premises of the former Snibston coal mine in Coalville. The museum includes various exhibitions, and mining-themed children's playground and mine tours. However, the underground mine is closed and not accessible. The tour shows buildings and machinery on the surface. In 2011 an artificial mine tunnel was opened, created by former miners, showing the coal-face and a pit pony stable.
The mining in the area started about 500 years ago, archaeolgical evidence in form of a woollen coat is on display in the museum. Surface mining was replaced by underground mining in the 18th century. The growth of the coal mining was restricted by the possibility to transport the coal to the customers. In 1828 a local mine engineer, William Stenson, invited George Stephenson to build a railroad. Swannington to Leicester railway soon connected the mines and the city.
Stephenson saw the potential and purchased the Snibston estate in 1831. He opened the Snibston Colliery in 1832 which soon flourished. After a long time with a single shaft, the second shaft named Stephenson Shaft was sunk in 1905. And finally a in the 60s a drift mine was dug, a ramp leading to the coal seem, which allowed the transport of bigger amounts of coal. The mine was closed in 1983, with the closure of Leicester South and Whitwick in 1986 coal mining in Leicestershire ended.
The town Coalville was built to house the miners of Snibson mine, during the 19th century the most famous mine in Leicestershire. It is actually a pure miners town wich developed adjacent to the colliery.
|Main Index | Britain | Leicestershire|