Le Thot


Useful Information

Location: Thonac, 7kms from Montignac.
Open: FEB to MAR Tues-Sun 10-12:30, 14-17:30.
APR to JUN daily 10-18.
JUL to AUG daily 10-19.
SEP daily 10-18.
OCT daily 10-12:30, 14-18.
NOV to DEC Tues-Sun 10-12:30, 14-17:30.
[2011]
Fee: Adults EUR 6.50, Children (6-12) EUR 4.50, Children (0-5) free.
Groups (20+): Adults EUR 5.50, Secondary School Pupils EUR 3.20, Primary School Pupils EUR 2.70.
Combi Ticket with Lascaux II: Adults EUR 12.50, Children (6-12) EUR 8.50, Children (0-5) free.
Groups (20+): Adults EUR 9, Secondary School Pupils EUR 7, Primary School Pupils EUR 6.
05-JUL to 22-AUG no group rates.
Tickets sold only at the Mairie (town hall) at Montignac.
[2011]
Classification:  Museums
Light: electric
Dimension:  
Guided tours:  
Photography:  
Accessibility:  
Bibliography:  
Address: Semitour Périgord, 221 bis route d'Angouleme, BP 1024, 24001 Périgueux Cedex, Tel: +33-553-056565, Fax: +33-553-063094. E-mail: contact
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
Last update:$Date: 2015/08/30 21:54:47 $

History


Description

Image: the so-called death scene in the Pit.

The museum at Thonac is called Le Thot or Espace Cro-Magnon. It is actually a zoo with a reproduction of the less important part of Lascaux cave. This is the side passage of the cave to the right side of the world famous Chamber of Bulls. The Chamber of Bulls is reproduced at Lascaux II in a 100% identical reproduction. Le Thot has a symbolic cave passage with patches of the cave wall, reproduced with the paintings and the engravings. As Lascaux II is advertised to contain 96% of the paintings so we guess the reproduction at Le Thot shows a part of the other 4%.

The rest of the park provides an insight into the animals that Cro-Magnon man (33,000 to 18,000 BC) knew. Still living animals like deer, Przewaslki horses, and ibex are shon is a sort of ice age zoo. Extinct animals are reproduced in life sized sculptures. Definitely a site for children, popular for school classes.


See also


Main Index | France | Aquitaine | Vézère Valley
Last updated Terms of Use, © Jochen Duckeck.