|Location:||Siracourt village, 2.5 km from St Pol|
|Classification:||World War II Bunker|
|Last update:||$Date: 2013/04/25 22:59:38 $|
|1944||captured by the Allies.|
This is 2.5 km from St Pol, and about 300 m above sea level. It was from here that the VI flying bomb or Doodlebug, were fired. Bombing raids by the U.K. and U.S.A. forces dropped 2,650 tons of bombs on Siracourt, destroying the village and bunker. Just to make sure all had been destroyed, in the final raid in June 1944, the six ton 'Tallboy' bombs were used. The top part is accessible, with the interior being muddy. Crawling through one section of the interior, you could come face to face with a fine specimen of French beef, in which case a quick retreat is called for!
Text by Tony Oldham (2002). With kind permission.
The former V1 start site is today only a ruin. It is located in the middle of the town Siracourt on a pastry. The remains are freely accessible, there is a trail starting at the northern corner of the bunker.
|Main Index | France | Nord-Pas de Calais|