|Location:||Village Nittendorf, west of Regensburg.|
|Classification:||Cave Castle in conglomerate|
|Address:||Gemeinde Nittendorf, Talstraße 9, 93152 Nittendorf, +49-9404-2024, Fax: +49-9404-2529|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:53:29 $|
|Paleolithic||used by man.|
|12th century||castle built by Ritter Werner von Rammelstein zu Loch.|
|1555||owned by the family von Sauerzapf|
|1719||owned by the monastry Karthaus Prüll in Regensburg.|
The cave castle Loch was buit inside two huge caverns in the cliff face above the river Black Laaber. The caverns were used for the living tracts of the castle, only the stronghold was visible and thus vulnerable. The castle was divided by an interior wall into living (internal) and defense (external) part.
Inside the cave walls were built and covered with wood. The rooms were lighted and ventilated by light shafts at the ceiling and natural cracks in the rock. The inner parts of the castle are ruined, only the remains of the walls can be visited. Only the stronghold still exists. It is entered through a door 8 m above the ground.
|Main Index | Germany|