|Location:||Schulstrasse 5, 77709 Oberwolfach|
MAY to OCT daily 11-17.
16-DEC to APR daily 11-16.
Closed 24-DEC, 25-DEC, 31-DEC, 01-JAN.
Adults EUR 5, Kurkarte EUR 4.50, School Pupils EUR 3, Disabled EUR 3, Students EUR 3, Family (2+*) EUR 12.
Groups (10+), Adults EUR 4, School Pupils EUR 2.50.
|Address:||Bergbau- und Mineralienmuseum Oberwolfach, Schulstraße 5, 77709 Oberwolfach, Tel: +49-7834-9420, Fax: +49-7834-859362. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:53:22 $|
|1652||first written mention.|
|1726||mining of silver abandoned after only one year.|
|1769||opening of the Grube Wenzel and Grube Friedrich-Christian.|
|1782||mines not rentable and closed.|
|1826||Bergwerksverein "Kinzigtaler" founded.|
|1850||start of baryte mining.|
|1907||cable car to the Benauer Berg built.|
|1967||cable car abandoned.|
|1987||Verein der Freunde von Mineralien und Bergbau Oberwolfach e.V founded.|
|1996||productionof silver ore concentrates.|
The Bergbau- und Mineralienmuseum Oberwolfach (Mining and Mineral Museum of Oberwolfach) was the result of a mineral exhibition which took place in 1987 in the sports hall of the town Oberwolfach. Mineral collectors of the area of Oberwolfach were presenting the collections on this exhibition. The felt the urge to create a lasting exhibition of those minerals originating from the famous Grube Clara, and so they created the Verein der Freunde von Mineralien und Bergbau Oberwolfach e.V., a non profit organization of mineral collectors. Two years later they were able to open the museum, as the town of Oberwolfach offered them the use of an old farmhous from 1720.
The museum is presenting the mining history of the Grube Clara, but the main topic is the exceptional wealth of this mine in differnt and unique minerals. The mine is still in operation, producing baryte and fluorit, and is operated by the mining company Schachtleben. Both minerals are needed by the industry for various purposes. But it fame is a result of far more than 300 different minerals which were discovered in the mine.
The museum has been developed during the last years, and today its official name is Museum für Mineralien und Mathematik (Museum for Minerals and Mathematics). A second exhibition was added, which explains the scientific knowledge of the Mathematisches Forschungsinstituts Oberwolfach. Obviously geometry, topology, and other aspects of mathematics are extremely important for mineralogists, so this combination is really synergetic.
|Main Index | Germany | Schwarzwald|