|Location:||Northwestern slopes of the Křížová hora (mountain of the cross). Lužické hory (Lausitzer Gebirge) near Jiřetín pod Jedlovou (Georgenthal).|
|Open:||MAY to OCT|
|Address:||Informacní střediska, Jiřetín pod Jedlovou, Tel: +420-412-379-336.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:53:01 $|
|1474||first written account of mining in the area.|
|1484||mining permission for marshal Hugold von Schleinitz.|
|1509||King Vladislaus gives mining permisssion to Heinrich von Schleinitz.|
|1539||Georg von Schleinitz build a new tunnel called St. Christoph.|
|1548||mining village Georgenthal (today Jiřetín) founded.|
|1599||outbreak of pestilence, mining ends.|
|1650||mining ended again.|
|1780||the new owner of the dominion, Alois v. Liechtenstein reopens the St. Christoph mine.|
|1781||štola Jana Evangelisty started.|
|01-MAY-1935||opened as a show mine.|
|1939||closed because of World War II.|
|1999||reopened as a show mine.|
On the northwestern slopes of the Křížová hora the phyllitic greywackes contain calcitic and silicatic dykes. This dykes contain sometime a low grade chalcopyrite with silver, copper, and tin, or galena which is a lead ore. Later also vitriol was mined.
In the area around Jiřetín (St. Georgenthal) various mining orientated tourist sights exist. First there is the show mine called štola Jana Evangelisty. Then there is a mining trail through údolí Milírky and an exhibition in the local mining museum. In the area a low grade polymetallic ore with silver, copper, lead and tin was mined during Medieval times.
Mining started probably in in the 15th century. In 1474 the Saxonian sovereigns Ernst and Albrecht allowed a man named Heinrich Keller mining and collection of gold for three years. Ten years later King Vladislaus II. called Jagellone allowed marshal Hugold von Schleinitz and his sons the mining for 15 years. King Vladislaus gives mining permisssion to Heinrich von Schleinitz. St. Christoph tunnel is started and the mining village Georgenthal founded by Georg von Schleinitz. Mining was not very successful, but it reappeared various times through the centuries.
1780 the new owner of the dominion, Alois v. Liechtenstein the St. Christoph mine reopened the mines and founded the new St. Johann-Evangelista-Stollen. At this time the area belonged to Saxonian sovereign, and so all names are German. However, today the area belongs to the Czech Republic, and thus we list it with the Czech version of the name.
The štola Jana Evangelisty is all together 640m long, with side tunnels, 360m of it was developed as a show mine. The visitor enters the main tunnel, which is 440m long, and follows it to the south. There are several side tunnels, but they are rather short. The longest one is some 20m long. In the middle of the main tunnel lies a small chamber, called the Chapel, from wich a 90m long tunnel branches of towards southwest. 55m behind the chapel a side tunne branches of, which connect this tunnel with the Saint Christoph tunnel. This connection was made mainly for air circulation.
|Main Index | Czech Republic | Ústecký kraj|