|Location:||In Hägendorf, Schluchtweg.|
|Address:||Verkehrs- und Verschönerungsverein Hägendorf, Präsidentin Judith Gehrig, Bodenmatt 33B, 4614 Hägendorf, Tel: +41-62-2162213. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:52:34 $|
|1902||first development by the Verkehrs- und Verschönerungsverein Hägendorf (VVH).|
|1910||second development for the Lungenheilstätte Allerheiligenberg.|
The Teufelsschlucht (Devil's Gorge) is also called Tüfelsschlucht in the local dialect. Old names were Teufelsgraben or Cholersbachgraben. The entrance to the gorge is in the center of the village Hägendorf, the village was built on both sides of the gorge. Just follow the Schluchtweg. The trail is 2,830m long and has 37 bridges.
The Jura mountains consist of karstified Jurassic limestones. But the uplift of the Alps during the last 10 Million years compressed the layers and formed huge folds. The folds run from the east to the west, but drainage here runs perpendicular. The Cholersbach thus created a gorge which cuts through one of those folds. There are several caves along the gorge.
The first part gorge was developed in 1902 by the Verkehrs- und Verschönerungsverein Hägendorf (VVH), a local non-profit organization. In 1910 the second part was developed when a hospital for the treatment of chronic diseases was built at the Allerheiligenberg. The Lungenheilstätte Allerheiligenberg was dedicated to the treatment of tuberculosis.
|Main Index | Switzerland | Jura|