In Radmer an der Hasel.
A9 (E57) exit Reithtal, B146 east through Admont and the Gesäuse to Hieflau, turn right onto B115. After 2.8km turn right to Radmer. The mine is at the end of the valley.
|Open:||Mid-APR to OCT daily 9-18. Appointment much recommended. Use telephone at the mine to reach a guide. |
|Fee:||Adults EUR 9, Children (6-18) EUR 5, Children (0-6) not allowed. |
|Classification:||Copper Mine Iron Mine|
|Guided tours:||Max. 6 persons per group. D=60min.|
Schaubergwerk Radmer Paradeisstollen, Tel: +43-3635-2360.
Herr Gottsbacher, Hasel 36, 8795 Radmer, Tel: +43-676-7106622 E-mail:
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:51:46 $|
|1547||said to be the begin of copper mining.|
|1559||first written mention of mining, two mines owned by Berthold Holzschuher und Hyronimus Geider.|
|1590||Radmer becomes the most important copper mine of Europe.|
|1596||480 tons of raw copper mined in a year.|
|1610||Bruderlade founded, a sort of pension fund.|
|1620||Radmer is not the most important copper mine any more, but still important.|
|1634||the first use of gunpowder in mining is made by Martin Silbereisen.|
|1711||the miner Adam Stangerer discovers iron ore.|
|1855||copper mining ends.|
|1979||iron mining ends.|
|2005||opened as a show mine.|
The copper ores at Radmer were formed in the sedimentary greywackes of the Noric nappe. They are enclosed by the Werfen layers, mostly schists and sandstone, and the carbonates (limestones) of the northern limestone alps. The iron ores, mostly siderite, are found in the limestones. The rocks were folded and by two different phases of the orogenic process. One had its direction north to south, the other one east to west.
The Paradeisstollen (paradise tunnel) is the oldest part of the copper mine in Radmer. It is not the oldest trace of mining,as the area was knwon 3,000 years ago during the Bronze Age. A Bronze Age axe was found close to the show mine in the 19th century, which is interpreted as a remain of this early mining. There were also traces of slag, which are from the same era. Most likely the ore was mined in small open cast mines at this time.
The Medival mining started around 1550, first written accounts are from 1559. The date 1547 as the start of mining seems to be realistic but unconfirmed. But soon, after only 40 years it became the most important copper mine of Europe. The peak was around 1600, which is attributed to Johann Linsmayr, who was called Edler von Greifenberg. He built Castle Greifenberg as a administrative building. around 1620 the importance of the copper mining slowly vanished.
The times changed, when in 1711 the miner Adam Stangerer discovered iron ore. Over decades the importance of copper sunk and the iron mining replaced it.
The show mine is rather young, and was created by a local club who invested a lot of work to clear the partly collapsed tunnels. They shown the old tunnel, which was dug by hand, more modern tunnels made with gunpowder and later dynamite. The mine is entered on the smallest mine train of Austria. It allows only six persons, which restricts the size of the tour groups. The train was built by the locals when they developed the mine. So it is not hiostoric, and they are very prod that it is absolutely unique.
Probably the highlight of the whole tour is a chamber called Eisenblütenkammer which contains a mineral named Eisenblüte (iron flower).
|Main Index | Austria | Steiermark|