E55 exit Hüttau, between Bischofshofen and Altenmark, south of Salzburg. The museum is in the city center in the Gewerkenhaus, an old mine building.
15-MAY to JUN daily 11, 14.
JUL to 14-SEP daily 10-16.
15.SEP to 26-OCT daily 11, 14.
27-OCT to 14-MAY by appointment.
Museum Hüttau: 
Adults EUR 7, Children EUR 3.50, Salzburg Card free.
Groups: Adults EUR 6.
Museum Hüttau: Adults EUR 3.50, Children EUR 1.50, Salzburg Card EUR 3.
Groups: Adults EUR 3.
Combi Ticket: Adults EUR 9.
G. Kandutsch (2005):
Historische Kupferzeche und Mineralienmuseum: Larzenbach und Huttau im Pongau, Osterreich,
Mineralien Magazin Lapis, Jahrgang 30, Ausgabe 5, 2005, pages 40-42.
Christian Weise Verlag GmbH, ISSN 0176-1285.
|Address:||Historische Kupferzeche am Larzenbach, 5511 Hüttau, Tel: +43-6458-7103 or +43-6458-7232. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2014/07/21 08:06:31 $|
|13th century||begin of mining activities.|
|1549||first written account.|
|1594||Gewerkenhaus built, which today hosts the museum.|
|1853||mining revived for a shor time.|
|1989||start of restauration as a show mine.|
|1998||opened to the public.|
|25-MAY-2003||Museum Hüttau inaugurated.|
This copper deposit is rather old, it was deposited 400Ma ago during the Carboniferous. There are two different copper ores, Kupferkies (chalcopyrite, CuFeS2) with a copper content of about 15% and Fahlerz a copper ore which also contains antimony. The sedimentary layers, once deposited horizontally, where deformed by the Alpine orogeny and have now a dip of about 45°.
The ore is oxidized and soluted by the dripping water. Oxydized copper has an intensive green colour, and so many green spots can be seen throughout the tour. There are even some green dripstones, when the sopper oxide is transported by the water and redeposited.
The area was mined for copper about 4,000 years ago by the Illyrans, later by the Celts. During the Middle Ages, the mine was of great importance for the area. The heydays were during the 16th and 17th century, then taxes increased and deposits were exhausted and many mines were closed. During the 18th century the mining almost ended, it was revived a last time in 1853, when the Kupfergewerkschaft "Larzenbach" was founded and a new mine named Barbara was opened. Sixteen years later it was closed finally, because of poor ores and competition by the
|Main Index | Austria | Salzburg|